BA LLB Cape Town MA DPhil Oxon
Anton Fagan is the WP Schreiner Professor of Law in the UCT Law Faculty. He has written on the law of delict, constitutional law, and jurisprudence. He teaches the law of delict and jurisprudence.
Anton is the founder, together with Hugh Corder, of the Five Plus Project. The Project's goal is to get as many comparatively well-off South Africans as possible to give at least 5% of their income to organisations and initiatives helping to reduce poverty in South Africa or alleviate its effects.
- Causation in the Constitutional Court: Lee v Minister of Correctional Services' (2013) 5 Constitutional Court Review.
- Aquilian Liability for Negligently Caused Pure Economic Loss - Its History and Doctrinal Accommodation' (2014) 131 South African Law Journal.
- Human Dignity in South African Law' in Marcus Düwel, Jens Braarvig, Roger Brownsword and Dietmar Mieth (eds) The Cambridge Handbook of Human Dignity: Inter-Disciplinary Perspectives (2014) Cambridge University Press 401.
- The Gist of Defamation in South African Law' in Eric Descheemaeker and Helen Scott (eds) Iniuria and the Common Law (2013) Hart Publishing, Oxford 169.
- The Right to Personal Security' in Elspeth Reid and Danie Visser (eds) Private Law and Human Rights: Bringing Rights Home in Scotland and South Africa (2013) Edinburgh University Press 130.
- A review of AW Brian Simpson Reflections on The Concept of Law (2011) Oxford University Press in (2013) 17 Edinburgh Law Review 113.
- The German Origins of a South African Dogma about Delict' (2012) 76 Rabels Zeitschrift für ausländisches und internationales Privatrecht 967.
- A Straw Man, Three Red Herrings, and a Closet Rule-Worshipper - A Rejoinder to Davis JP' (2012) 129 South African Law Journal 788.
- The Constitutional Court Loses Its (and Our) Sense of Humour: Le Roux v Dey' (2011) 128 South African Law Journal 395.
- Cause in Fact' in Danie Visser and Max Loubser (eds) Thinking About Law: Essays for Tony Honoré (2011) Siber Ink, Cape Town 50.
- The Secondary Role of the Spirit, Purport and Objects of the Bill of Rights in the Common Law's Development' (2010) 127 South African Law Journal 611.
- 'The Confusions of K', (2009) 126 South African Law Journal 156.
- 'Dignity and the Political Right to Freedom' in A. J. Barnard-Naudé, Drucilla Cornell, Francois du Bois (eds.), Dignity, Freedom and the Post-Apartheid Legal Order: The Critical Jurisprudence of Laurie Ackermann (2008) Juta, Cape Town 177.
- 'Reconsidering Carmichele', (2008) 125 South African Law Journal 659.
- 'Blind Faith: A Response to Professors Neethling and Potgieter', (2007) 124 South African Law Journal, 285.
- 'Rethinking Wrongfulness in the Law of Delict', (2005) 122 South African Law Journal 90.
- 'Section 39(2) and Political Integrity', in Francois du Bois (ed.), The Practice of Integrity: Reflections on Ronald Dworkin and South African Law (2005) Juta, Cape Town 117.
- A review of Nils Jansen, Die Struktur des Haftungsrechts (2003) Mohr Siebeck, in (2005) Zeitschrift für Europäisches Privatrecht 211.
- A review of Reinhard Zimmermann (ed.), Grundstrukturen des Europäischen Deliktsrechts (2003) Nomos Verlagsgesellschaft, in (2005) Zeitschrift für Europäisches Privatrecht 959.
- 'Negligence', in Reinhard Zimmermann, Daniel Visser and Kenneth Reid (eds.), Mixed Legal Systems in Comparative Perspective: Property and Obligations in Scotland and South Africa (2004) Oxford University Press and Juta 498.
- 'Determining the Stakes: Binding and Non-Binding Bills of Rights', in Daniel Friedmann and Daphne Barak-Erez (eds.), Human Rights in Private Law (2001) Hart Publishing, Oxford 73.
- A review of William Lucy, Understanding and Explaining Adjudication (2000) Oxford University Press, in (2001) 117 Law Quarterly Review 159.
- 'A Duty without Distinction', in T. J. Scott and Danie Visser (eds.), Developing Delict: Essays in Honour of Robert Feenstra (2000) Juta, Cape Town 49.
- 'A Flawed Defence', (2000) 50 University of Toronto Law Journal 75.
- 'Delivering Positivism from Evil', in David Dyzenhaus (ed.), Recrafting the Rule of Law: The Limits of Legal Order (1999) Hart Publishing, Oxford 81.
- 'Law of Delict', in the Annual Survey of South African Law 1998, (with Eduard Fagan) 264.
- 'Dignity and Unfair Discrimination: A Value Misplaced and a Right Misunderstood', (1998) 14 South African Journal on Human Rights 220.
- 'Law of Delict', in the Annual Survey of South African Law 1997, (with Eduard Fagan) 256.
- 'Law of Delict', in the Annual Survey of South African Law 1996, (with Eduard Fagan) 303.
- 'In Defence of the Obvious - Ordinary Meaning and the Identification of Constitutional Rules', (1995) 11 South African Journal on Human Rights 545.