The Law Faculty's Private Law Department is one of three departments in the Faculty (along with Commercial Law and Public Law). With an academic staff of excellent teachers, researchers and legal experts, the department's focus is on the following areas of law (amongst others):
- customary law
- land law and land redistribution
- comparative law and the nature of legal systems
- various facets of legal history, including Roman law
- the doctrine and theory of the law of delict
- unjustified enrichment
- family law, including Muslim family law
- law of contract
- law of succession
- adjectival law, in particular civil procedure
- the theory of legal education
- the jurisprudential context of private law.
For each academic's particular interests and areas of specialisation, please read their bio pages.